MSc Cyber Security
- Year of entry 2022
- Duration 1 YR (FT) 2 YRS (PT)
- Location Wrexham
of active experts leading research within several areas of Cyber security, meaning you benefit from the latest knowledge.
several areas of cyber security, from ethical hacking and security management to key data protection regulations.
study between lectures and industry-level practical experience. Your research will be enhanced by the opportunity to form part of our thriving and collaborative community.
Why choose this course?
Cyber security plays an increasingly important role in our world of ever-evolving technology. This course will help you to deepen your understanding of network security, penetration testing and computer forensics, whilst also adopting a systematic approach to information security management, from the varied perspectives to the technical elements.
- You will explore several specialist technical disciplines. These will focus on areas such as developing secure software platforms and protecting against complex attack processes used to breach system security.
- To enhance your learning experience, the programme integrates professional skills which relate to audit, management and risk. These will address both cyber security and data protection regulations within institutions and organisations.
- Topics of focus will include cryptography, ethical hacking and penetration testing, information security management, information risk management, software security and implementing secure systems.
Key course features
- This course offers you the opportunity to study cyber security in-depth.
- Lectures, tutorials and practical sessions are enhanced with additional, resource-rich online materials to support your independent learning.
- You will explore information assurance methodologies, testing operational security management, incident management, audit, assurance and review, business continuity management, and more.
- Our staff undertake leading research into several areas of cyber security, and will provide you with the latest insights as you develop your own specialism.
- The research activities you undertake will be associated with the university’s thriving and, often collaborative, research centre.
What you will study
Students will study 6 core modules worth 20 credits each, followed by a 60 credit dissertation, making up a total of 180 credits altogether.
- Postgraduate Study & Research Methods
- Advanced Ethical Hacking
- Security and Risk Management
- Developing Secure Software
- Applied Cryptography
- Technological Horizon-Scanning
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Entry requirements & applying
The standard entry requirements for these programmes are an honours degree of at least 2:2 classification in a Computer Science related subject area, or equivalent in any science-based degree with a strong computing and/or engineering element. In some cases, applicants with substantial commercial or industrial experience can be accepted, subject to interview and references.
Teaching & Assessment
Postgraduate Study & Research Methods
- Coursework - 40% - 1500 words
- Coursework - 60% - 2000 words
Advanced Ethical Hacking
- Coursework - 60% - 3000 words
- Practical - 40%
Security and Risk Management
- Case Study - 70% - 4000 words
- In-class test - 30%
Developing Secure Software
- Portfolio - 70% - 4000 words
- In-class test - 30%
- Examination - 50%
- Practical - 50% - 3000 words
- Coursework - 70% - 3000 words
- Presentation - 30%
- Research Proposal - 10% - 2,000 words
- Dissertation - 90% - 15,000 to 20,000 words
Teaching and Learning
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential.
We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments. Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping deal with the practicalities of university work. Our Student Support section has more information on the help available.
In terms of particular needs, the University’s Inclusion Services can provide appropriate guidance and support should any students require reasonable adjustments to be made because of a recognised prevailing disability, medical condition, or specific learning difference.
Our Careers and employability services are there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
Successful completion of the course enables you to put greater focus on your future career in the field of cyber security or other educational paths. You will have the knowledge and confidence necessary to continue to develop professionally in the workplace. You may also decide to take the opportunity to progress into higher-level academic investigation.
It is expected that you will be able to gain employment at higher technical and managerial levels, develop particular specialist technical and consultative skills, and be capable of embarking upon doctoral level study.
Employment opportunities include:
- Security Analyst
- Security Engineer
- Security Architect
- Security Administrator
- Security Software Developer
- Security Consultant
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2022/23 for MSc Cyber Security are £5940.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our Fees and Funding pages.
You can see the full programme specification here.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.