Grad Cert Professional Development (Education)
- Year of entry 2022
- Duration 1-4YRS (PT)
- Location Wrexham
by the University of Wales.
links with related organisations and agencies.
Why choose this course?
The Graduate Certificate in Professional Development (Education) provides you with Continuing Professional Development (CPD) which will enable you to meet NQT standards.
- The programme aims to link theory with the course participants’ own experience so that real benefits will be felt by both the newly qualified teachers and their schools.
Key course features
- This course is aimed at enhancing your practice and strengthening your teaching and research skills.
- Wrexham Glyndŵr University works closely in partnership with schools, FE colleges and local education authorities to offer comprehensive CPD opportunities for teachers. These partnerships are central in ensuring that all programmes are fit for purpose and put graduates in a good position for employment and career progression.
- This programme is designed in partnership with local education authorities, professional agencies and leading consultants in the field.
What you will study
Participants are required to study and achieve 60 credits in order to gain the Graduate Certificate in Professional Development (Education). The course is made up of a number of different modules which may be grouped together.
- The Reflective Practitioner
- Learning from Teaching
- Positive Behaviour Management
- Accountability, Evaluation and School Improvement
- Strategic and Developmental Planning for School Improvement
- Leading and Managing Staff
- Classroom Observation
- Mentoring in Practice
- Action Research for School Improvement
- Working Together for School Effectiveness
- Pedagogy for Wales in the 21st Century
- Developing Thinking and Assessment for Learning
- Y Curriculum Cymreig
- Education, Citizenship and Critical Thinking
- Techniquest – Numeracy and Problem Solving
- Techniquest – The Development of Thinking Skills
- Techniquest – Sustainability, Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship
- Physical Development and Physical Education – Putting Theory into Practice
- Developing Health and Emotional Wellbeing
- Working in Partnership
- An Introduction to Teaching Basic Skills Through the Curriculum
- Basic Skills in Transition - Numeracy
- Basic Skills in Transition - Literacy
- Assessment for Learning Strategies
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Entry requirements & applying
Applicants must already hold Qualified Teacher Status before applying for this course.
If you have any questions or would like further information about this course, entry requirements or application process, please contact our Admissions and Enquiries Team.
Teaching & Assessment
Students will undertake several practical-based assignments throughout the course. This includes written work, portfolios, and presentations.
The assessments will enable theory to inform practice and encourage students to reflect critically on and, where possible, improve the quality of leadership, management, learning and teaching within their schools.
Teaching & Learning
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential. We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments. Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping deal with the practicalities of university work. Our student support section has more information on the help available.
Our Careers & Employability service is there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
The courses offer continuing professional development for teachers which will give them the edge in a competitive employment market.
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2022/23 for Grad Cert Professional Development (Education) are £5940.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our fees & funding pages.
You can see the full programme specification here.