MSc Data Science and Big Data Analytics
- Year of entry 2023
- Duration 1 YR (FT) 2 YRS (PT)
- Location Wrexham
in the high-demand areas of Data Science and Big Data technologies.
how to use various models, methods, tools and techniques to convert data into information and knowledge that can be understood by non-specialists.
to work on scenarios and case studies, allowing you to experience real-world situations, problem solving and decision making.
Why choose this course?
As data is being used increasingly to personalise, aggregate, and measure our everyday experiences, there is also a growing need for those who can develop such systems in a responsible and ethical manner. By studying this Master’s Programme, you will be perfectly positioned to meet this demand.
- You will learn how to use various models, methods, tools and techniques to convert data into information and knowledge that can be understood by non-specialists, in order to make informed decisions for governments, companies, and other organisations-based on facts, statistical numbers and trends.
- Your learning experience will be enhanced by developing your knowledge of interdisciplinary skills and statistics, software programming, and using modern data analysis and visualisation technologies.
Key course features
- This course is designed as a conversion Masters which will provide you with the opportunity, regardless of your previous subject area, to pursue a career in Data Science.
- It will equip you with the skills, knowledge, tools and technology to ensure a smooth transition into this specialist area.
- Data Science is a platform with a complex blend of technology, algorithm development, and data interference. We have developed our course to ensure that you are equipped with cutting-edge knowledge, recognising the current and predicted future of the field.
- We will transform your understanding of the subject, inspiring you to make informed judgements by critically evaluating security, legal, ethical and privacy issues, considering the environmental impact of current and emerging big data technologies and applications.
- Our team are leading research-active professionals, on hand throughout the course to support your learning with their knowledge and expertise.
What you will study
Students will complete 6 core modules worth 20 credits each, followed by a dissertation project worth 60 credits, making a total of 180 credits altogether.
- Postgraduate Study and Research Methods
- Advanced Data Structures and Algorithms
- Database Systems and Data Analytics
- Big Data Challenges and Opportunities
- Data Analysis and Visualisation
- Machine Learning
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Entry requirements & applying
Normal entry requirements for full time and part time will be one of:
- A Bachelor of Science Honours degree, normally 2:2 or above, in a relevant subject area for example Computing, Maths etc.,
- Academic qualifications in other subject areas or at a lower level than honours degree but supported by a maturity of experience at a professional level in a relevant specialist area.
- Equivalent qualifications of another overseas country which are deemed satisfactory by the program team.
Teaching & Assessment
Assessment will be through a variety of coursework projects, culminating in a 15,000-20,000 word final dissertation.
Teaching and Learning
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential.
We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments. Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping them deal with the practicalities of university work. Our Student Support section has more information on the help available.
In terms of particular needs, the university Inclusion team can provide appropriate guidance and support should any students require reasonable adjustments to be made because of a recognised prevailing disability, medical condition, or specific learning difficulty.
Our Careers & Employability service is there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
This degree will enable you to pursue a career in a broad range of areas. These include finance, scientific research, health, academia, retail, information technology, ecommerce and government.
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2023/24 for MSc Data Science and Big Data Analytics are £5,940.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our fees & funding page.
You can see the full programme specification here.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.