MA Design Interdisciplinary Practice
- Year of entry 2023, 2024
- Duration 1 YR (FT) 2 YRS (PT)
- Location Wrexham
your knowledge and expertise in multidisciplinary, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary art practice.
so that you acquire a deep understanding of the necessary skills required to work within creative, professional and academic contexts.
research strategy that crosses many disciplinary boundaries and develop practice both individually and collaboratively.
Why choose this course?
As growth in the sector continues, the creative industries offer many thriving career opportunities. We have developed this course to equip you with a balance of research, analytical and innovative skills ready for employment within the chosen area of your practice.
- The multi-disciplinary, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary focus of your learning will evolve with an ethos of nurturing a sustainable society-featuring environmental, social, moral and ethical considerations.
- You will be presented with a range of new and evolving opportunities to develop your practice within a thriving, international, creative community.
- While you study with us, you will gain greater insight into writing for publication, posters and journals, as well as other essential business knowledge. This will be led by our professionally-active staff who will transform your development with their knowledge and experience.
Key course features
- This programme has been developed to respond to the changing face of design, and incorporates the collaborative interdisciplinary practice from WGU researchers into socially engaged practice.
- Our staff will support and encourage you to find internships and work placements with local and regional organisations.
- You will learn creative management techniques and important business principles to underpin your creative and imaginative progress, and to help prepare you for a successful career after the course is completed.
- Your learning will include understanding and engaging with contemporary practices, issues, technologies and exhibits.
- You will become part of our vibrant international creative community, with staff committed to nurturing your potential, ready for you to take your talent to the next level.
- Our professionally active staff will transform your learning, using their own knowledge and experience of participating and engaging in expositions, industry related events, conferences and publications. The research activities of our team are close to the curriculum and encourage innovative practice and professional networking.
What you will study
Students will study four core modules each worth 30 credits, followed by a final design project worth a total of 60 credits.
- Engagement, Immersion and Practice
- Creative Research Methods
- Transitional Skills
- Transdisciplinary Practice
- Thesis and Masters Design Exposition
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Entry requirements & applying
We currently require an initial undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, classified as First Class or 2:1, or evidence of recent activity in the subject equivalent to these classifications as determined by interview.
Applicants may also provide a portfolio of their own work, demonstrating their knowledge of design and their own artistic ability. Overseas students can submit their portfolio and statement of intent digitally if they are unable to visit the university in person. This will then be followed up by a virtual face to face interview via, Skype, TEAMs, Zoom or equivalent.
Teaching & Assessment
Assessment will be conducted through a series of coursework (typically a portfolio), including evaluations of the practical work for each module.
Teaching and Learning
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential.
We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments. Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping deal with the practicalities of university work. Our Student Support section has more information on the help available.
In terms of particular needs, the university Inclusion team can provide appropriate guidance and support should any students require reasonable adjustments to be made because of a recognised prevailing disability, medical condition, or specific learning difference.
Our Careers & Employability service is there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
This programme will equip students with many employable skills to enable them to pursue successful careers in the creative industries, working in art and design interdisciplinary practices as varied as:
- Art and Science Collaborative Projects
- Ceramic Studios
- Educational Organisations
- Graphic Design Companies
- Game Art Studios
- Festivals and Public Speaking
- Further Research and PhD study.
Previous graduates have found roles as self employed artists/designers, lecturers, illustrators, special needs facilitators, theatrical prop makers and game designers.
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2023/24 for MA Design Interdisciplinary Practice are £5,940.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our fees & funding page.
You can see the full programme specification here.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.