PGCert Emergency Nursing
- Year of entry 2023
- Duration 1 YR (PT)
- Location Wrexham
with local NHS clinical partners
Meets the needs
of the Welsh emergency care system
in a high-fidelity environment with simulation and technologist senior lecturers to provide contemporary teaching
Why choose this course?
The Postgraduate Certificate in Emergency Nursing programme will extend your knowledge and skills within the Emergency and urgent care settings.
- This programme will give you the confidence and competence to provide care to a wide range of patients presenting to an Emergency or Urgent care setting
- We have developed the programme by listening to the most junior to most senior members of the Emergency care teams and ensuring the course content and curriculum design reflects that
Key course features
- A programme structure based on a 50% theory and 50% practice divided in programme hours.
- Assessment of practice learning through a portfolio of evidence allows you to demonstrate your progression in practice.
- High and low fidelity simulation throughout.
- Teaching provided by subject area specialists with current practice and a programme leader who is an emergency nurse and an advanced nurse practitioner working in the NHS.
- The programme team work in partnership with the University Health Board
What you will study
The three core level 7 modules are designed to enhance your ability to provide evidence based, gold standard emergency care to the patients in your care.
- Emergency nursing Part One: ABCDE approach to patient care.
- Emergency nursing Part Two: Poly-trauma, Prehospital care, Resuscitation Room, care of the child and young person, care of the older person, mental health, disaster planning.
- Quality and service Improvement for Emergency nurse: Professional practice, governance in the emergency setting, improving practice and service delivery.
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Entry requirements & applying
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You must be registered with the NMC
- Two years post registration experience in the emergency or urgent care setting
- DBS will be part of the NHS
Teaching & Assessment
- Blended approach
- Simulation based education low and high fidelity
- Virtual and immersive reality
- Face to face
- Flipped classroom
- Scale up
- Assessment through portfolio development, OSCEs and a poster presentation to demonstrate a quality/service improvement
Teaching and Learning
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential.
We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments. Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping deal with the practicalities of university work. Our Student Support section has more information on the help available.
In terms of particular needs, the university can provide appropriate guidance and support should any students require reasonable adjustments to be made because of a recognised prevailing disability, medical condition, or specific learning difficulty.
- Students all working in the NHS
- Seconded by the Health board or NHS Trust
Our Careers & Employability service is there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2023/24 for Postgraduate Certificate Emergency nursing are £2,432.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our fees & finance pages.
You can see the full programme specification here.