MRes Sport, Exercise & Health Science
- Year of entry 2022
- Duration 1 YR (FT) 2 YRS (PT)
- Location Wrexham
to publish your research
course, tailored around your interests
practice work experience
Why choose this course?
Our MRes in Sport, Exercise and Health Science is a unique applied programme which is tailored to your interests. It provides students with the opportunity to specialise in research and engage in applied practice work experience alongside producing novel and exciting research.
You can select from the following named routes:
- MRes Sport, Exercise and Health Science (Coaching)
- MRes Sport, Exercise and Health Science (Psychology)
- MRes Sport, Exercise and Health Science (Physiology)
- MRes Sport, Exercise and Health Science (Performance Analysis)
- MRes Sport, Exercise and Health Science (Physical Activity)
Key course features
- Affiliate member of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES)
- Engage in consultancy work alongside your course
- Free access to Glyndwr University’s Sport Science Journal club
- Access to sport science labs and strength and conditioning and performance analysis suite
What you will study
- Major Independent Study: You will conduct a dissertation within a topic of interest and learn how to defend your findings and publish your work.
- Negotiated Learning Module: You will conduct a minimum of 10-hours of placement and have the option to either write a report or present your reflections of working in the world of sport, exercise and health science.
- Advanced Research Methods: You will learn how to conduct research, analyse and present data.
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Entry requirements & applying
The entry requirements for this course are a 2:2 or above in any undergraduate degree.
Students who have not obtained a 2:2 will be considered by individual application only. Applicants are not required to have their degree in the sport discipline and do not need to complete the preparing for academic success course, although it will be advised if the above criteria are not met.
Teaching & Assessment
Students will be assessed through a variety of methods, including exams, essays and presentations.
Teaching & Learning
The course offers a flexible blended learning approach. A mixture of lectures, seminars, practical lab sessions are on offer. You would be expected to be on campus for around 3-4 hours per week- more if you are keen to join on-campus related activities such as joining one of the many societies we have on offer. A major part of your contact time on the course is you working closely with your research supervisor.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential. We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments. Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping deal with the practicalities of university work. Our student support section has more information on the help available.
Our Careers & Employability service is there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
The MRes allows students to specialise in a specific area of sport, exercise and health science, thus opportunities for careers can include:
- Performance analyst
- Clinical exercise physiologist
- Performance physiologist
- Sports coach
- Sport psychologist
- National governing bodies
- Local council
- Physical activity specialists
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2022/23 are £5940.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our fees & funding pages.
You can see the full programme specification here.
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (COACHING) FULL-TIME
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (COACHING) PART-TIME
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS) FULL-TIME
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS) PART-TIME
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (PHYSICAL ACTIVITY) FULL-TIME
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (PHYSIOLOGY) FULL-TIME
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (PHYSIOLOGY) PART-TIME
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (PSYCHOLOGY) FULL-TIME
- MRES SPORT, EXERCISE AND HEALTH SCIENCE (PSYCHOLOGY) PART-TIME