Computing Summer School
- Year of entry 2022
- Duration 4 weeks
- Location Online
Why choose this course?
Interested in learning about Cyber Security and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Act? This course covers cyber threats and security, what rights someone has in relation to their data, the legal basis an organisation will use to process personal data, Data Protection Impact Assessments, special category data and privacy.
Key course features
- Understand the facts surrounding The General Data Protection Regulation (The GDPR) and how its introduction has transformed data protection laws in Europe.
- You will be able to discuss topics such as what rights someone has to their personal data, the legal basis an organisation will use to process personal data, Data Protection Impact Assessments, special category data and privacy by design and by default.
- Study security systems and ethical hacking in a hands-on way, predominantly led by the coverage of tools, techniques and systems that allow penetration testing to be carried out on computer systems and networks. Applying the understanding of the security that is required to understand hacking will enable you to relate this back to the GDPR.
- The course is designed by the former Head of Technology Policy for the Information Commissioners Office (The ICO).
What you will study
Topics which will be covered on the course include:
- What is the GDPR?
- Cyber threats and security
- Data privacy rights
- Principles and processing
- Lawful basis for processing
- E-privacy regulation
- Legislation in addition to the GDPR
- Connected devices and privacy
- Transfer outside of the EU
- Privacy by design
Entry requirements & applying
Our courses are open to students over the age of 16, whatever your background or country of residence.
The Summer School doesn't require you to have any previous knowledge of the topics, and therefore provides an ideal chance to discover a completely new subject or personal interest. However, students on the Summer School should be at B2 level (or equivalent) in English language.
If you would like to apply for this course, please click here.
Fees & funding
All of our summer school courses cost £750 (including deposit) which will cover the cost of technical tuition and English language tuition.
*These courses are in often in popular demand, however if a course does have an insufficient number of students registered it will not be offered. In such an event, any registered students will be offered an alternative programme or given a full refund of any fees paid.
This course will run for 4 weeks from Monday 4th July 2022 – Friday 29th July 2022.