(Short Course) Confident Learner
- Duration 4 weeks
- Location Online
Why choose this course?
This course is designed to enable you to increase your confidence as you take the next step in undergraduate education - whether you are returning to study after a period away, just about to start at university or thinking about taking a professional or part-time course.
Key course features
- Research and find information from a range of sources
- Improve your presentation skills
- Prepare for a higher level of study
- Improve and enhance your I.T skills
- Build your confidence so you can achieve your potential
"I’m really enjoying myself and I am feeling so much more relaxed about everything now. I know where most things are in the uni so I’m not worried about getting lost in a maze of buildings or carparks! The lessons are really informative and the big confusing "referencing" worries are really starting to go away. I can’t recommend the course enough. I already feel like I have settled into uni life, regardless of the fact I only start in September."
– Helen Anderson,Confident Learner student, joined BA Hons Business (with foundation year)
What you will study
By the end of the module learners will be able to:
- Locate, evaluate and use information from a variety of sources
- Demonstrate the need for clarity and coherence in the presentation of views
- Adopt appropriate styles of academic writing and presentation at HE level
- Give a presentation using conventions for citing and referencing sources
- Support and supervise
- Manage conflict
- Monitor and record
- Prioritise issues
- Understand personal beliefs, values and attitudes
Entry requirements & applying
This course is for anyone who:
- Is transitioning between level 3 and 4
- Is starting University in September (regardless of University)
- Is thinking about starting a PT or professional course but is not 100% sure due to low qualifications
- Anyone who has already applied to University but needs to increase their entry grades
To book visit the online shop.
Teaching & Assessment
Assessment One (Coursework 50%):
During the module, students will produce a portfolio that demonstrates their competence in locating, evaluating and using information from a variety of courses. They will be expected to write two short pieces of work (500 words) that enables them to present their views in a clear and coherent way, in line with academic conventions.
Assessment Two (Presentation 50%): Students will prepare a ten-minute presentation; using ICT resources and software to demonstrate how the skills required to become a confident learner have been used to develop own next steps into study.
Fees & funding
The course will cover 4 weeks of learning; 5 hours per week for 4 weeks with the assessment on the 6th week. This will be delivered online through Moodle through the medium of English.
*Please Note* Individuals only need to book the course once, the different courses refer to different start dates and they all have the same content.