Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for English Language Teachers
- Duration 4 Weeks
- Location Wrexham
Why choose this course?
English has already become a lingua franca in many professional fields and, in our highly globalised world, education is no exception. Thus it is imperative for English language teachers to continue to upgrade their English language skills throughout their career.
- The Language Centre at Wrexham Glyndŵr University has developed this professional development course especially for English foreign-language teachers who are non-native speakers of English, aimed at helping them enhance their knowledge and skills for teaching the subject.
- Students will gain first-hand experience of British university life in the UK, and will have the chance to participate in a fun and varied social programme aimed at giving students a better understanding of British life and culture.
- You will have the chance to meet with other like-minded English language teachers on the course, as well as have the opportunity to observe English language classes taught by other professional English language teachers.
Key course features
- Our CPD course consists of 200 hours of study, which is divided into 100 contact hours with course tutors and 100 hours of directed and private self-study.
- Minimum duration of the course is 4 weeks, although it is strongly recommended that participants extend their stay in order to optimise their learning experience in a UK University.
- Our lecturers have professional experience of training teachers of all nationalities and native tongues.
What you will study
The course will cover the four main components of language learning skills (reading, writing, speaking and listening), with particular emphasis on improving communication skills. During the course, you will be able to:
- Significantly improve your speaking and writing skills in English within a short period of time.
- Learn to understand the main varieties of spoken English with little difficulty, including some dialectal usage of British English.
- Update your knowledge and understanding of the socio-cultural, political and economic issues in the UK, including the British education system and multiculturalism.
- Observe and participate in English language classes taught by experienced language lecturers.
- Develop your own course materials for use in your own home country, or anywhere else you wish to teach English.
- Share and practice your English language skills with other students on the course, as both language learners and language teachers.
In addition to attending core classes, students will also have the opportunity to take part in a diverse social programme, with activities such as film nights, international evenings and visits to places of interest in North Wales and elsewhere in the UK. These enjoyable events form an integral part of the professional learning experience, and students will come away with a deeper understanding of British life and culture.
Entry requirements & applying
If you would like to apply for this course, you can fill out our direct application form here.
Teaching & Assessment
Students will undertake an assessment towards the end of the course to test them on their language skills learned at Advanced level.
On successful completion of the course, students will be awarded 20 UK Higher Education credits (10 ECTS) and a Wrexham Glyndŵr University Certificate of Participation.
Fees & funding
Students are provided with on-campus accommodation, or are allocated to university housing a short distance from the main campus. All university accommodation is single en-suite (private toilet and shower), and students will normally share a fully equipped kitchen designed for up to 6 people. Wrexham Village on the main Wrexham campus is in close proximity to the library and other on-site learning facilities, as well as being a short distance away from Wrexham town centre itself. Wi-fi access is available across the entire campus and accommodation blocks are given 24-hour security protection.
For more information on the accommodation available at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, please visit our accommodation page, or contact our friendly accommodation team at email@example.com or on 01978 293344.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.