English Language Summer School
- Duration 4 weeks
- Location Wrexham
Why choose this course?
Our English Language Summer School is the perfect course for international students who are looking to improve their English language skills before coming to study an undergraduate or postgraduate course at Wrexham Glyndŵr University.
- Study English in the beautiful North Wales in the UK, and experience a taster of British university life on our vibrant Wrexham campus.
- You will have access to modern, state-of-the-art learning facilities and receive excellent support from our experienced language centre staff.
- Meet other international students from around the world and take part in our exciting social programme of events, all aimed at helping you to develop your English language skills.
Key course features
- Lessons normally take place in seminars in groups of 8-15 students.
- You will be able to conduct your own self-study in our modern, state-of-the-art language laboratory.
- Students will be supported by our language centre staff throughout their stay, and will have access to excellent learning materials and facilities- all of which are included in the course fees.
What you will study
- Students will cover the four main components of English language learning: reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. At higher levels, specific emphasis will be placed on writing for academic purposes, especially to prepare students who will be coming to study undergraduate/postgraduate courses in the autumn.
- In addition to English language classes, students will also be able to attend lectures on British culture and take part in small, facilitated conversation groups with a native English speaker. These learning activities will help to enhance students’ knowledge of the English language and the context in which it is spoken.
- As well as academic study, students will have the opportunity to take part in a fun programme of social events, such as our popular ‘country evenings’ where participants can exercise their newly gained language skills and introduce their country and its culture to their international friends on the course. We also offer film evenings (with a cultural touch!), weekend trips, and can even make recommendations for those wishing to discover the nightlife scene in Wrexham, nearby Chester, or even further afield!
Entry requirements & applying
If you would like to apply for this course, you can fill out our direct application form here.
Teaching & Assessment
On successful completion of the course, students will be awarded 20 Higher Education credits (=10 ECTS) which can be used towards a Higher Education degree as appropriate.
Fees & funding
Students are provided with on-campus accommodation, or are allocated to university housing a short distance from the main campus. All university accommodation is single en-suite (private toilet and shower), and students will normally share a fully equipped kitchen designed for up to 6 people. The Wrexham Village on the Wrexham campus is in close proximity to the library and other on-site learning facilities, as well as being a short distance away from Wrexham town centre itself. Wi-fi access is available across the entire campus and accommodation blocks are given 24-hour security protection.
For more information on the accommodation available at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, please visit our accommodation page, or contact our friendly accommodation team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01978 293344.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.