(Short Course) Fundamentals of Social Prescribing
- Duration 6 weeks
- Location Blended Learning
Why choose this course?
Policy and legislation in Wales has increasingly recognised the need for and value of linking individuals with non-medical sources of support within the community to promote and improve health and wellbeing. This is at the heart of social prescribing.
Key course features
- The course will introduce the foundational knowledge and skills needed to work in social prescribing, including:
- Contextual elements; such as the political and legislative background, what social prescribing is and how it works.
- Theoretical elements; such as understanding health behaviours and behaviour change.
- Applied elements; such as professional conduct, motivational interviewing and solution-focused approaches.
- The course will be taught through a series of interactive workshops, which will include the delivery of lecture slides, class discussions and group work.
- Learning is supported by guided independent reading and tasks, as well as individual tutorials as appropriate and the provision of online materials via the virtual learning environment.
What you will study
- Background to and rationale for social prescribing.
- Understanding health behaviours and behaviour change.
- Social prescribing – what it is and how to do it.
- Communication skills for social prescribing.
- Engaging in brief advice and professional conduct.
- Principals of motivational interviewing and solution-focused approaches.
Teaching & Assessment
During the course of the module, students will complete a portfolio of work, including:
- A discussion forum on the background and context of social prescribing.
- A case study exploring the theoretical underpinnings for social prescribing.
- A reflective essay considering the skills needed to work in social prescribing.
The elements of the portfolio might be subject to change to reflect any new developments in social prescribing.
Fees & funding
The course includes 6 weeks of Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) with 3 Day attendance on campus.
If you are interested in receiving notification of future dates please email email@example.com to log your interest.