(Short Course) Independent Advocacy
- Location Blended Learning
Why choose this course?
This module aims to provide students with the skills and knowledge to practice independent advocacy. The skills and knowledge acquired through this course will be transferable, enabling students from a range of disciplines to employ the principles and practices of independent advocacy in a variety of settings.
Key course features
At the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Analyse the key issues in developing the independent advocacy relationship.
- Evaluate the underlying concepts and principles associated with maintaining the independent advocacy relationship.
- Demonstrate the application of independent advocacy principles and purpose.
What you will study
An exploration of the purpose and principles of independent advocacy, such as :
- Person-centred practice
- Addressing inequality
- Wider policy
- Advocacy models
- Roles and responsibilities
- Skills, attitudes and attributes
Understanding the advocacy relationship, such as:
- Issues that affect the advocacy relationship
- Providing advocacy services
- Planning courses of action
- Supporting others to self-advocate
- Representing others
- Assessing outcomes
- Providing feedback
Maintaining the advocacy relationship, such as:
- Ethical and practical challenges
- Support and supervision
- Managing conflict
- Monitoring and recording
- Prioritising issues
- Understanding personal beliefs, values and attitudes.
Teaching & Assessment
There will be two summative assessments for this module:
1. Students will work as a group to produce a presentation that analyses the key issues in developing an independent advocacy relationship and evaluates the key issues in maintaining this relationship.
2. Students will identify an issue relevant to practice and participate in a simulated meeting to demonstrate the application of independent advocacy principles and purpose.
Fees & funding
Do you live in Wales? We have a number of funding opportunities available, please complete the form below to find out if you are eligible to study this course for free. Apply now via this form.
Start date 6 June 2023.