(Short Course) Intensive English Language
- Duration 4 weeks - 11 months
- Location Wrexham
Why choose this course?
By choosing the IELC at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, you will have the opportunity to study English in the UK at a vibrant Welsh university. You will have access to modern, up-to-date learning facilities and be given first-rate teaching to help you achieve the required level of English you need to apply for British higher education courses.
- The Language Centre will be your ‘home’ for the duration of the course, but you will also have the chance to explore our main campus in Wrexham, giving you a taste of British university life.
- Course participants will also enjoy the same support and facilities (including accommodation) provided to home students at Wrexham Glyndŵr University. These range from welfare services, including healthcare provision and disability support, to a fitness centre and other recreational facilities.
- Our friendly and experienced staff will be there to provide you with all of the help and support which you need during your studies, and by the end of the course you will be able to apply for any undergraduate or postgraduate courses at Wrexham Glyndŵr University.
Key course features
- Multiple entry points throughout the year.
- Several different entry levels and course durations to suit your needs.
Help to prepare for the IELTS test (or equivalent) required for entry onto undergraduate or postgraduate courses at Wrexham Glyndŵr University.
- Courses are delivered on a full-time basis (25 hours of guided tuition in a week throughout the year and short intervals in the main holiday periods) at three entry levels:
- Pre-intermediate (IELTS 4.0 or lower)
- Intermediate (IELTS 4.5/5.0)
- Upper-intermediate (5.0/5.5)
(Any other equivalent qualifications or experience will be considered at admission).
What you will study
Equal importance will be placed on the development of vocabulary and grammar skills, and there is a strong focus on listening and speaking skills in social and academic situations. Reading and writing skills are honed progressively, and at higher levels they will become the main focus of learning. Specific advice and techniques necessary to prepare for internationally recognised exams, such as the IELTS, will form an integral part of the programme towards the end of the course.
Students will be taught in a seminar-style environment in group sizes of up to 10-15 people. Sessions take place in our well-equipped language laboratory and students will be able to conduct guided self-study in our Learning Resources Centre. The majority of the learning materials will be provided by the course organisers. Students will receive written reports on their progress each month and they will also be advised on opportunities to enrol for an internationally recognised English language certificate.
All extra-curricular activities (e.g. student clubs) offered by Wrexham Glyndŵr University to home students will be available to participants on the course. Our Language Centre also runs additional activities for full-time and part-time students, giving the international and multicultural student cohorts opportunities to meet and practise their newly acquired English language skills.
Entry requirements & applying
If you would like to apply for the IELC, you can fill out our direct application form here.
Fees & funding
Upon completion of the course, participants will have achieved the required level of English to study in the UK, allowing them to apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate course at Wrexham Glyndŵr University.
Students are provided with on-campus accommodation, or are allocated to university housing a short distance from the main campus. All university accommodation is single en-suite (private toilet and shower), and students will normally share a fully equipped kitchen designed for up to 6 people. Wrexham Village on the main Wrexham campus is in close proximity to the library and other on-site learning facilities, as well as being a short distance away from Wrexham town centre itself. Wi-fi access is available across the entire campus and accommodation blocks are given 24-hour security protection.
For more information on the accommodation available at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, please visit our accommodation page, or contact our friendly accommodation team at email@example.com or on 01978 293344.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.