(Short Course) Introduction to Search Dog Handling
- Duration 2 weeks
- Location Northop, Online
Why choose this course?
Learn the basic skills, knowledge and understanding required of a Search Dog handler to ensure the provision of a professional level of service. This course will help prepare you for the training required for a career in this area, while having the opportunity to complete practical work as part of a simulated search dog handling team.
Key course features
- Developed in conjunction with UK-K9 Training for Excellence.
- Endorsed by NASDU (National Association of Security Dog Users).
- Blended online & face to face learning.
- Practical sessions as part of a simulation search dog team.
What you will study
- Introduction to Handler & Dog Qualities
- Principles of Search Training
- Search Methods & Management
- Recording & Documentation
- Specialist Security & Detection Dogs
- Training and Career Planning
Teaching & Assessment
You will need to complete two assessments:
1. The first will be a simulated search exercise where you take on the role of a member of a search dog handling team and will be tasked to plan and perform a practical search.
2. The second will be a reflective log of your performance on the simulated search activity.
Fees & funding