(Short Course) Introduction to Cyber Security
- Duration 9 weeks
- Location Online
Why choose this course?
Learn the fundamental knowledge concerning computer security, basic cyber threats and the corresponding detection and defence techniques. Core security concepts, terminology, technologies and professional cyber security skills will be introduced via case studies and experiments.
Key course features
- Study online in your own time.
- Develop your knowledge of cyber security concepts, issues and networks.
What you will study
- Introduction to cyberspace and cyber security: computer security, web security, operating system security, wireless/network security, mobile security, programming security.
- Concepts and terminology of cyber security: basics of encryption and cryptography, virtual platform, cloud, protocols, hacking, malware, virus, botnets, pentest, information security practice/standards.
- Basic coverage of security software: anti-virus software, packet sniffers, anti-spyware, intrusion detection/protection software, digital forensics software, pentest software.
- Introductory overview of network security: types of networks, network protocols, network security and protection, VPNs, firewall configuration/maintenance, network intrusion and detection systems.
- The human factor in security: authorisation mechanisms, usability issues, risk analysis and control, cyber-ethics, cyber bullying, social media attacks.
Entry requirements & applying
To book visit the online shop.
Teaching & Assessment
- A 1.5-hour test for students to demonstrate their understanding of material covered throughout the module.
- Assignment based on the successful completion of a series of tasks or a given case study scenario. Students will produce a report (about 2000 words in total) detailing their findings of the investigation.
- 2-hour practical test to assess the understanding of fundamental concepts and their practical application.
Fees & funding
Course dates & delivery
Course 2: This course will start week commencing the 31st January 2022.
Course 3: This course will start week commencing the 25th April 2022.
Course 4: This course will start week commencing the 4th July 2022.
You will need to log in weekly to access the course content and undergo your studies.
*Please Note* Individuals only need to book the course once, the different courses refer to different start dates and they all have the same content.
The total learning time on the module is 200 hours. Online sessions will be available for students to engage with the learning materials.