(Short Course) Introduction to Dog Behaviour and Training
- Duration 6 weeks
- Location Northop, Online
Why choose this course?
Do you have practical experience in handling and caring for dogs and a keen interest in behaviour and training? If so our Introduction to Dog Behaviour and Training short course may be just what you’re looking for!
Key course features
- Combine classroom-based study with practical sessions at our Northop Campus and North Clwyd Animal Rescue Centre
- Gain 20 HE credits on completion
- Learn about key aspects of dog training and behaviour.
What you will study
- Introduction to dog behaviour Interpreting body language, Dominance – a scientific evaluation, appropriate socialisation and early training (crating, muzzling, life skills for dogs, ethical training)
- Introduction to learning theory – associative and non-associative learning processes Key concepts of dog training – techniques, methods, equipment
- Key terms and definitions – e.g. chaining, back-chaining, reinforcement schedules
- Training plan development – health and safety, timing, incremental steps, operational criteria, factors which may influence a plan.
Entry requirements & applying
To book, visit the online shop.
Teaching & Assessment
- Online Test - which will include questions relating to the behaviour of canines and their development and dog training terms and their application. This may include but not be limited to interpreting body language, developmental periods, socialisation and factors which may influence behaviour.
- Training plan - Students will develop and implement a training plan to train a simple behaviour using an appropriate method and technical terms, the plan will include a section on health and safety.
Fees & funding
6 weeks in total, 3 hours in the evening 5.30-8.30 and three days over weekends (Sundays)
- Thursday 4th Nov 5-8pm Northop
- Thursday 11th Nov 5-8pm Northop
- Thursday 18th Nov 5-8pm Online
- Sunday 21st Nov Practical Northop 9-3pm
- Thursday 25th Nov 5-8 pm
- Thursday 2nd Dec 5-8pm Online
- Sunday 5th Dec practical 9-3pm
- Thursday 9th Dec 5-8pm Northop
- Thursday 16th Dec Online
- Sun 19th Practical 9-3pm