(Short Course) Introduction to Speech and Language Therapy
- Duration 7 weeks
- Location Blended Learning
Why choose this course?
This ‘Introduction to Speech and Language Therapy’ course will join a suite of Allied Health Professional (AHP) ‘Introduction to’ courses, offered at Wrexham Glyndwr University. They have the primary aim of widening participation and access onto healthcare courses for students from traditional and non-traditional routes.
This seven week, online course covers preparatory knowledge and skills to support an application to study Speech and Language Therapy or an application to a related healthcare course as it covers healthcare values and gives an overview of student life here at Wrexham Glyndwr University. The course will be delivered by registered and practising Speech and Language Therapists from the local health board.
It would appeal to applicants whose strengths include good communication, team working and interpersonal skills and a desire to work in the profession or healthcare sector. Completion of the course would be a valuable asset on the ‘relevant experience’ section of an application to the BSc in Speech and Language Therapy. It would also provide the opportunity to meet the teaching staff and find out more about the course, career, the university and student life.
The course engages students throughout using the Active Learning Framework and blended learning approach.
Key course features
• Delivered by registered Speech and Language Therapists from the local health board
• Free course
• Recorded sessions and uploaded materials for students to access in their own time
• Supports an application to study Speech and Language Therapy
• Gain 20 credits at Level 4
• Find out more about studying the course and student life at Wrexham Glyndwr University
What you will study
1. Friday 20th May (Introduction and overview of Allied Health Professionals)
2. Friday 27th May (Communication and Swallowing)
3. Friday 10th June (Role of the Speech and Language Therapist)
4. Friday 17th June (Speech and Language Therapy as a career) + Midway formative quiz
5. Friday 24th June (Themes in the profession)
6. Friday 1st July (BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy at WGU)
7. Friday 8th July Summary and Assessment
Entry requirements & applying
To book this course, please visit the online store.
The booking for this course closes a week before the course start date. If you would like to find out more about future dates for this course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching & Assessment
- 7 hours of synchronous live teaching
- 29 hours of asynchronous content including reading, webinars, podcasts on Moodle in preparation for the live sessions and for the assessments
- 164 hours of independent learning
- Midway assessment – week 4. MCQ
- Summative assessment – week 7. A reflective piece of work linked to personal statement.
Fees & funding
20th May 2022 until 8th July 2022
The sessions will run from 9:30am until 10:30am. There will be two on campus sessions for this course. The first face to face session is 27th May 2022 and the second face to face session is 24th June 2022. All sessions will be recorded and uploaded onto Moodle for those who are unable to attend live. It is advisable to attend at least one or two live sessions as there will be opportunity to get involved and ask questions, but if this is not possible, students will be able to access all recordings at their convenience.