(Short Course) Introduction to Writing & Illustrating Children's Books
- Location Wrexham
Why choose this course?
This course will introduce you to the various stages of the Design Thinking Process around what makes a good picture book for children. It will encourage creative exploration and experimentation of a range of media and techniques within the writing and illustrating children’s picture books.
Key course features
- Receive workshop demonstrations to outline the key design principles.
- Personalised support to help you create your own work.
- Evaluate your own work and the group's during group critiques at each stage of the design process.
What you will study
- The Design Thinking Process as a framework for creativity
- Techniques available to communicate with the reader/audience
- The practical exploration of media and techniques within a storytelling environment
- To encourage evaluative thinking in your own individual creative writing and illustration
- Produce a portfolio of original writing and development into visual storytelling
Entry requirements & applying
To book your place, visit the online shop.
Teaching & Assessment
Critical discussion will take place during and at the end of assignments with group critiques and individual tuition forming the basis of ongoing formative assessment.
A body of work presenting the design development and production will be presented at the end of the module. Students will be assessed on their exploration of generating ideas for stories and the relationship of text and image in their solution to storytelling. This should be supported by documentation of the working methods and contextual influences that the student has become aware of and used during the course of the module.
This 9-week short course will run on Tuesday evenings from 6pm – 8pm in the following blocks across the year:
- Tuesday 1st February 2022 - Tuesday 29th March 2022
- Tuesday 26th April 2022 - Tuesday 21st June 2022