(Short Course) Practice Supervisor Nursing
- Location Online
Why choose this course?
Providing registered health professionals the training to become a practice supervisor for nursing students. This course follows the guidance of the Standards for Student Supervision and Assessment (Nursing and Midwifery Council 2018).
Key course features
- Fit this course around your commitments with online learning.
- Discover more about the role of a practice supervisor and how to help support student learning.
- Become a confident practice supervisor for nursing students.
What you will study
Roles and Responsibilities
- An outline of the roles of the Practice Supervisor, Practice Assessor and Academic Assessor.
- How to provide evidence towards progression and achievement for the Practice Assessor and Academic Assessor.
- The importance of accurate record keeping.
- Overview of the NMC (2018) Standards for student supervision and assessment, the function of the role in providing evidence for the Practice Assessor and Academic Assessor to determine the students’ progression and achievement.
- Accountability in relation to appropriate delegation in accordance with the NMC (2018) The Code – Professional standards of practice and behaviour for nurses, midwives and nursing associates and NMC (2018) Delegation and Accountability guidance.
- Acting as a role model in instilling the principles of the NMC (2018) The Code – Professional standards of practice and behaviour for nurses, midwives and nursing associates.
- Developing effective supportive and professional relationships with students.
- Models of supervision.
- Encouraging students to take responsibility for their learning and development.
- Developing understanding of how to facilitate student learning to meet the needs of a wide range of student learners.
- Determining, in collaboration with the Practice Assessor, an appropriate level of supervision commensurate with the students’ level of competence / proficiency, knowledge and skill and stage of a programme.
- Encouraging reflective practice to facilitate individual students’ development of competence and confidence
- Planning the student learning experience including reasonable adjustments or equality and diversity considerations that may need to be met.
- Giving effective feedback and feed-forward to enable students to reflect on and improve their practice.
- Helping students to develop resilience.
- Supporting students who raise any concerns in the learning environment.
- How to raise concerns regarding a student’s conduct, competence and performance.
- Supporting students who are experiencing difficulty in meeting expected progress.
- Contributing to the development and review of action plans to facilitate improvement in student’s practice.
- An overview of the All Wales Action Planning Protocol.
- Self-directed study.
- 3 live teams session.
- Online activity weekly which students can work through at own pace.
Teaching & Assessment
Assessment is a competency document where they supervise an NMC Student in practice for the length of the student nurses placement candidates will need a practice assessor to sign off the competency booklet and there will be a minimum 500 word reflection.
Fees & funding