Pre-sessional English Language Courses
- Duration 5-30 weeks
- Location Wrexham
Why choose this course?
If you are an international student who is coming to study at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, but English is not your first language and you would like to improve your fluency before starting your course, then our Pre-sessional English Courses can help you to reach your desired level.
- Improve and upgrade your English language ability in a short amount of time, so you will feel confident and well prepared in time for the start of your undergraduate/postgraduate course in September.
- Have access to a range of excellent on-campus learning facilities and receive support and progress updates from our friendly and experienced course lecturers.
- No IELTS test or other English language assessments will be required from you once you complete the course; once students pass they will automatically qualify for entry onto their respective academic programme.
Key course features
- Upgrade your skills and knowledge of the English language in order to satisfy Wrexham Glyndŵr University's English language entry criteria for undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
- Courses consist of 23-25 hours of study per week, in classes of 8-16 students.
- In addition to classroom teaching, you will be expected to conduct your own self-study and complete a series of set assignments.
- Course duration can range between 5-30 weeks, depending on the requirements of the student.
- As a course participant, you will be able to enjoy all of the benefits available to other Wrexham Glyndŵr University students. This includes banks of material on our VLE (Moodle), which will enable you to hone your language and academic skills. You will also have access to our library and IT centres, as well as our student welfare services and sports facilities.
- You will also have the opportunity to participate in student clubs, and take part in our social programme especially for international students run by the Language Centre.
- The Language Centre will be your ‘home’ in the first few weeks on campus, and during this time you will have the opportunity to find out more about student life at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, which will help you to settle into your academic course more smoothly when you start in September.
What you will study
- Each of the course modules you take will be aimed at enhancing your accuracy and proficiency in the English language. Focus will be placed on the development of your linguistic skills and your acquisition of socio-cultural awareness in Britain. Throughout your time on the course, you will be given excellent support to ensure that you achieve the appropriate level of English you need to reach in order to start your undergraduate or postgraduate course.
- On successful completion of the pre-sessional programme, students will have improved all of their four linguistic skills (speaking, reading, listening and writing), thereby giving them the confidence to communicate in English in academic and social situations. By the end of course, students will be able to demonstrate an effective command of the English language.
- Students’ progress will be closely monitored throughout the course, and lecturers will be on-hand to offer any extra help or support if needed. You will also receive written interim reports, and receive oral feedback on your work during regular one-to-one meetings with your tutors.
Entry requirements & applying
If you would like to apply for one of our pre-sessional English language courses, you can fill out our direct application form here.
Teaching & Assessment
Students will undertake a final assessment at the end of the course to test their English language ability. By achieving the required pass marks in each of the four skills, students will have fulfilled the university’s English language entry criteria for undergraduate or postgraduate studies respectively; no further IELTS exam is required.
Fees & funding
Students are provided with on-campus accommodation, or are allocated to university housing a short distance from the main campus. All university accommodation is single en-suite (private toilet and shower), and students will normally share a fully equipped kitchen designed for up to 6 people. Wrexham Village on the main Wrexham campus is in close proximity to the library and other on-site learning facilities, as well as being a short distance away from Wrexham town centre itself. Wi-fi access is available across the entire campus and accommodation blocks are given 24-hour security protection.
For more information on the accommodation available at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, please visit our accommodation page, or contact our friendly accommodation team at email@example.com or on 01978 293344.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.