(Short Course) The GDPR: Understanding and Using It
- Location Wrexham
Why choose this course?
The General Data Protection Regulation (The GDPR) is the new data protection regulation for the United Kingdom. Its introduction in May 2018 gave citizens more control and choice over the use of their data. All organisations processing personal data must comply with the GDPR.
- Join this course to learn more about how the new regulation affects you as an individual and also understand how your company or industry will need to adapt to comply with the regulation.
- This course is designed by the former Head of Technology Policy for the Information Commissioners Office (The ICO).
What you will study
This module will cover:
- The rights individuals have
- The legal basis an organisation will use to process personal data
- Data Protection Impact Assessments
- Special category data
- Privacy by design and by default.
The course will also cover how the GDPR relates to PECR (Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations), PECR sits alongside the Data Protection Act and the GDPR. They give people specific privacy rights in relation to electronic communications.
Entry requirements & applying
There are no entry requirements for this course; just an interest in the subject!
If you would like to find out more about future dates for this course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching & Assessment
The case study will be through the development of a Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA), whereby students will be given the task in tutorials to produce and identify the need for a DPIA, describe the nature of the processing and assess the necessity and proportionality of data protection impact assessments. This will be complemented by an in-class test, examining understanding of terminology and use of the GDPR.
Fees & funding
Do you live in Wales? We have a number of funding opportunities available, please complete the form to find out if you are eligible to study this course for free. Apply now via this form.
You will need to log in weekly to access the course content and undergo your studies.
*Please Note* Individuals only need to book the course once, the different courses refer to different start dates and they all have the same content.