(Short Course) The GDPR: Understanding and Using It
- Location Wrexham
Why choose this course?
The General Data Protection Regulation (The GDPR) is the new data protection regulation for the United Kingdom. Its introduction in May 2018 gave citizens more control and choice over the use of their data. All organisations processing personal data must comply with the GDPR.
- Join this course to learn more about how the new regulation affects you as an individual and also understand how your company or industry will need to adapt to comply with the regulation.
- The course is designed and delivered by Dr Nigel Houlden. Prior to returning to Wrexham Glyndŵr University, Dr Houlden was the Head of Technology Policy for the Information Commissioners Office (The ICO). During his time at the ICO, he helped shape the understanding of the GDPR, in particular its use and application to technology.
What you will study
This module will cover:
- The rights individuals have
- The legal basis an organisation will use to process personal data
- Data Protection Impact Assessments
- Special category data
- Privacy by design and by default.
The course will also cover how the GDPR relates to PECR (Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations), PECR sits alongside the Data Protection Act and the GDPR. They give people specific privacy rights in relation to electronic communications.
Entry requirements & applying
To book this course, please visit the online store.
Teaching & Assessment
The case study will be through the development of a Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA), whereby students will be given the task in tutorials to produce and identify the need for a DPIA, describe the nature of the processing and assess the necessity and proportionality of data protection impact assessments. This will be complemented by an in-class test, examining understanding of terminology and use of the GDPR.
Fees & funding
- Course 2: This course will start week commencing the 31st January 2022.
- Course 3: This course will start week commencing the 25th April 2022.
- Course 4: This course will start week commencing the 4th July 2022.
You will need to log in weekly to access the course content and undergo your studies.
*Please Note* Individuals only need to book the course once, the different courses refer to different start dates and they all have the same content.