(Short Course) Therapeutic Story Work
- Duration 12 weeks
- Location Online, Wrexham
Why choose this course?
Develop an understanding of how stories and storytelling can be a fundamental way in which people make sense of their lives. The module examines the therapeutic use of stories and storytelling and seeks to promote practice skills focusing on stories and storytelling activities in therapeutic work with children.
Key course features
- Learn about practice-relevant techniques in a well-supported teaching and learning environment
- Blended learning approach - join weekly face-to-face sessions and study online around your commitments
What you will study
- Module introduction
- Introduction to therapeutic stories and storytelling – ethics and process
- Practice issues in therapeutic work with vulnerable children.
- Storytelling and communication skills
- Stories in the therapeutic relationship
- Multi-layered stories and the use of a strength-based perspective.
- Stories and storytelling activities in therapeutic work with children
- Storytelling in poetry, fiction, autobiography and performance
- Story as metaphor
- Researching stories
- Life story work with children
Teaching & Assessment
This module is delivered via blended learning consisting of 12 teaching weeks. This means that the group will mainly meet for a 1-hour interactive synchronous session on Friday mornings between 9am and 10am via Teams. Plus a two-hour weekly asynchronous teaching session can be accessed by the student at any time to suit their weekly schedule. The only change to this pattern is that there is a 3-hour module launch on the first week of the module.
These sessions will include a coursework assessment and a ten-minute presentation which will take place on week 14.
Fees & funding
This course will start Friday 26th November 2021 and will run until Friday 4th March 2022.