MEng Aeronautical Engineering
- UCAS CodeAE23
- Year of entry 2023, 2024
- Duration 4 YRS (FT) 8 YRS (PT)
- UCAS Tariff 120
- Institution Code G53
- Location Wrexham
by the Engineering Accreditation Board*
module, to enhance your experience and career opportunities
Merlin Flight Simulator and access to packages such as FLITE, RANT navaids trainer and Boeing 747
Why choose this course?
The key aim of this Aeronautical Engineering degree is to develop intellectual and application skills through knowledge acquisition, problem-solving, deductive skills, synthesis, analysis, and evaluation. This also encompasses social and environmental implications.
Learn advanced skills and knowledge, and graduate with a Master’s in Engineering after just four years of study.
During this degree, you will:
- develop a full understanding of engineering design concepts and the product development process.
- gain key skills and sound knowledge for a successful career in aircraft design and manufacturing industries, as well as in a variety of modern manufacturing engineering sectors,
- be pragmatic, taking a systematic approach and the logical and practical steps necessary for often complex concepts to become reality.
- seek to achieve sustainable solutions to problems and have strategies for being creative, innovative, and overcoming difficulties by employing their skills, knowledge and understanding in a flexible manner.
- be skilled at solving problems by applying their numerical, computational, analytical, and technical skills, using appropriate tools.
- be risk, cost and value-conscious, and aware of their ethical, social, cultural, environmental, health and safety, and wider professional responsibilities.
- be familiar with the nature of business and enterprise in the creation of economic and social value appreciate the global dimensions of engineering, commerce, and communication;
- be able to formulate and operate within appropriate codes of conduct, when faced with an ethical issue.
- be professional in your outlook, be capable of team working, be effective communicators, and be able to exercise responsibility and sound management approaches.
You can also choose to study this degree as a standard three-year BEng (Hons) Aeronautical Engineering degree, with a foundation year BEng (Hons) Aeronautical Engineering with Foundation year (4 years) or with Industrial Placement year BEng (Hons) Aeronautical Engineering with Industrial Placement (4 years)
*This course is subject to EAB accreditation.
Key course features
- Integrated Industrial Placement, providing you with a more diverse range of skills and experiences in a workplace setting ready for employment
- You will be taught by a dedicated teaching team, many with industrial backgrounds.
- Accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Board (subject to EAB accreditation in 2023).
- Subsonic and supersonic wind tunnel facilities.
- Advanced Composite Training and Development Centre based in Broughton.
- 3D laser scanner.
- Access to cutting-edge computer-aided design, analysis and simulation software, including ANSYS, Abaqus, MATLAB and Simulink, etc.
- Work on jet engine aircraft in our aircraft hangar.
- Become eligible to be a student member with the IMechE, RAeS, and/or IET.
What you will study
YEAR 1 (LEVEL 4)
You will develop an understanding of the fundamental concepts, principles and theories in engineering. Acquire basic mathematic skills related to engineering and design problems. Use CAD for engineering design. Competence of working safely in engineering laboratories and workshops, and being able to conduct laboratory procedures, measurement and workshop practices under the guidance of a tutor.
- Introduction to Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Science
- CAD and Production Science
- Materials and Environment
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Professional Development
- Modern Aircraft Technology
YEAR 2 (LEVEL 5)
You will build on the knowledge, concepts and skills acquired at level 4 in addition to more specialist knowledge, and skills in engineering design and analysis. More in-depth theories in mechanics, thermodynamics, propulsion, flight dynamics, avionics, control systems, structures and finite element analysis, etc. Develop an understanding in business and research methods.
- Engineering Futures – Research, Ethics, and Sustainability
- Thermo-Fluid and Propulsion
- Further Engineering Mathematics
- Computer Aided Manufacturing
- Mechanics, Structures & FEA
- Flight Mechanics, Avionics and Control
YEAR 3 (LEVEL 6)
You will acquire a critical understanding and application of the higher level concepts, principles and theories in engineering as well as a critical understanding and explanation of advanced topics in structural vibration, thermodynamics, and aerodynamics. An Industrial Placement and Project are integrated into the MEng degree, which will enhance your industrial experience and further brighten your career opportunities.
- Mechanical Engineering Modelling & Simulation
- Aircraft Design & Flight Stability
- Industrial Placement
YEAR 4 (LEVEL 7)
- Group Design Project
- Mechanical Engineering Systems Modelling & Simulation
- Applied Aerodynamics
- Advanced Flight Mechanics & Control
- Renewable Technology & Storage Integration Engineering
- Intelligent System Design & Control Engineering
- Design with Composites-Theory & Practice
Entry requirements & applying
The academic requirements for the course are 120 UCAS tariff points at GCE A-level or equivalent.
For direct entry to Level 6 of the degree, applicants must have achieved a qualification at Level 5 or better in a relevant discipline. Entry to the programme may be gained by students who can present one of the pieces of evidence listed below:
- Have passed a Dip HE in a relevant discipline.
- Have passed a French DUT.
- Have achieved a minimum of 120 ECTS credits in a relevant discipline.
- Have passed a Foundation Degree or HND in a cognate discipline.
- Have passed a qualification from an EU or other overseas country equivalent, as defined as equivalent NARIC, to a DipHE or better in a relevant discipline.
Applicants may enter the programme at various levels with Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPEL) in accordance with the University's General Regulations.
Teaching & Assessment
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential. An open and friendly atmosphere enhances the student’s learning experience. Strong links to local, national, and international companies ensure teaching is industry relevant and provides students with the best possible starting point for their engineering career paths taking on key roles in industry and public services.
Teaching and Learning
We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments.
Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping deal with the practicalities of university work. Our student support section has more information on the help available.
In terms of particular needs, the University’s Inclusion Services can provide appropriate guidance and support should any students require reasonable adjustments to be made because of a recognised prevailing disability, medical condition, or specific learning difference.
Our Careers & Employability service is there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
The degree will develop your intellectual and practical skills to meet the future needs of a rapidly changing technology and business environment. As well as continuing your professional development, the course prepares you for a career as a professional Engineer in industry, in roles such as:
- Design Engineer
- Automation Software Engineer
- Test and Calibration Engineer
- Commissioning Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Quality Control
- Maintenance Management
- Production Management
- A management role in the industry
Past students work for globally known companies, such as Rolls-Royce Derby, Airbus, and Bentley Motors.
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2023/24 for a full-time undergraduate degree course are £9,000 per year.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our Fees and Funding section.
You can see the full programme specification here.
If you’re looking for a place to stay while you study then take a look at our accommodation pages to get more information on your options, including our on-campus halls of residence Wrexham Village.
Subject to accreditation
Any courses listed as “subject to accreditation” are in the process of applying for accreditation/recognition by external bodies, known as PSRBs – Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies. These courses have to go through a separate external approval process with the relevant PSRBs. The majority of courses that are still ‘subject to accreditation’ are approved as expected however, this is not guaranteed and should the accreditation not be approved as planned, or be significantly amended or delayed, you will be informed by the University.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.