BSc (Hons) Football Coaching & the Performance Specialist
- UCAS Code6M0Q
- Year of entry 2022
- Duration 3 YRS (FT)
- UCAS Tariff 80-112
- Institution Code G53
- Location Wrexham
Designed in partnership with the Football Association of Wales
Work towards the FAW C Certificate and UEFA B Licence
2nd in Wales
for satisfaction with teaching (The Guardian University Guide 2022)*
Football Coachingat WGU
Thinking of a career in Football Coaching? Hear from lecturers and students about our Football Coaching and the Performance Specialist degree at Glyndwr University.
Why choose this course?
Our football coaching and performance degree has been designed to develop and enhance your current knowledge, reshape and update existing knowledge and provide an in-depth exploration of sports science within the game.
- Is designed in partnership with the Football Association of Wales (FAW)
- Offers a plethora of industry-recognised qualifications including the FAW C Certificate and FAW/UEFA B Licence.
- Benefits from UEFA qualified coach educators and our academic team to provide students with support to develop personally, professionally and academically.
- Has key links with the football clubs and associations, such as Wrexham AFC and the FAW Trust, to develop your industry knowledge and gain valuable applied experience.
- Provides additional opportunities with Educational partners such as the International Soccer Science and Football Federation (ISSPF) and Achieve More Training to enhance your CV and coaching profile.
- Includes sessions at the FAW National Football Development Centre, Colliers Park, which is complete with our performance analysis suite and full-sized FIFA quality 3G football pitch.
Key course features
- You will work towards FAW (Level 2) C Certificate and (Level 3) FAW/UEFA B coaching licences as part of their degree, giving you additional qualifications that enhance employability.
- Lecturers are research active and UEFA accredited, which means that the curriculum is engaging, current and relevant.
- The dynamic lecture environment supports and challenges you to enhance and develop your understanding of the role of sport science within football.
- Excellent student support from approachable staff that will support you on a journey that takes you from personal development in the early part of your degree to professional development as you progress through the course.
- You have the opportunity to gain applied experience working within a variety of football settings. Extensive links with partners will provide you with the opportunity to develop vocational and industry-relevant skills.
- You will have access to the FAW National Football Development Centre, Colliers Park, which is complete with our performance analysis suit and full sized FIFA quality 3G football pitch.
- *This course is part of a subject area rated 2nd in Wales for satisfaction with teaching in the Sports Science subject league tables, The Guardian University Guide 2022.
What you will study
Our football coaching degree enables you to develop practical coaching skills and an understanding of the coaching process at a youth and senior level. You'll also develop an understanding of the extended elements of the coaching process, including how individual players and teams are prepared physiologically and psychologically to participate in football.
Modules are taught on a weekly basis and this will allow you to link academic theory to football practice. As you progress through the degree you'll develop the personal, professional and academic skills required to personalise your learning to match your future career ambitions.
Throughout the degree you will enhance your coaching profile by completing football-specific industry-recognised qualifications such as the FAW C Certificate and the FAW/UEFA B Licence.
YEAR 1 (LEVEL 4)
- Football Coaching for Player Development (20 Credits): Within this module, we will look to develop and enhance your coaching skills and introduce you to the theory that underpins contemporary practice within the football player development industry.
- Introduction to Performance analysis in Football (20 Credits): The role of performance analysis in football is more important than ever and this module will provide you with an introduction of how it is applied and used within football.
- Football Coaching and Community Development (20 Credits): Within this module, you will explore how we can use football as a driver to enhance and develop our communities and specific population groups.
- Introduction to Sport Science in Football (20 Credits): The aim of this module is for you to gain an understanding of the role of sports science within the applied football environment.
- Human Behaviour in Sport (20 Credits): This module aims to introduce you to the essential models and theories appropriate for understanding human behaviour in a sports setting.
- Academic Discovery within the Sports Sciences (20 credits): This module investigates qualitative and quantitative approaches to researching sports science disciplines.
YEAR 2 (LEVEL 5)
- Football Coaching to Enhance Performance (20 Credits): We will look to build on the coaching theory you have acquired within your first year to develop a strategic understanding of performance development.
- Applied Performance Analysis in Football (20 Credits): This module will explore how football practitioners can utilise performance analysis to inform practice and evaluate performance.
- Football Science: The Physical Performance of Players (20 Credits): Within this module, students will explore the scientific and objective approaches practitioners can adopt in order to adequately and sufficiently physically prepare players for performance. In addition, students will also examine and analyse physiological responses to football-specific intermittent exercise patterns.
- Football Applied Practice: Sports Placement (20 Credits)*: This module will provide you with an opportunity to enhance your subject-specific skills within the applied football environment through a football placement and the use of reflective practice.
- The Football Industry (20 credits)**: We will explore the specific skills required to operate within the football industry and look to use reflective practice to enhance your employability within the football environment.
- Applying Principles of Sport Psychology (20 Credits): This module aims to build on the knowledge foundation developed in the first year, where appropriate interventions are considered to improve human performance.
- Applied Research Methods (20 Credits): This module aims to educate you on carrying out research from both a qualitative and quantitative perspective. You will gain insight into different research methods and analyses whilst also starting to create an idea for your final year dissertation.
YEAR 3 (LEVEL 6)
- Advanced Football Coaching and Performance (Core Module 40 Credits): This module has an exclusive focus on coaching within the elite football environment. Students will critically explore a holistic approach to player development from both youth and senior perspectives.
- The Football Industry: Work-Based Learning (Optional Module 20 Credits)*: This module aims to enable the student to undertake a structured piece of work-based learning that will enhance the ability to maximise learning from a work experience within a football-specific environment.
- The Football Industry: Enhancing Your Employability (Optional Module 20 Credits)**: This module aims to enable the student to undertake a structured piece of work-based learning that will enhance their ability to reflect on their own current skill set and areas of development in relation to the world of football.
- Independent Discovery (Core Module 40 Credits): This module allows you to conduct a research study of your own. After selecting an environment of your choosing, you will collect, analyse and interpret data from within it, turning all of this hard work into a structured written format for submission.
- Applied Sport and Performance Psychology (Optional Module 20 Credits): This module aims to develop specific knowledge on the role of a Sport and Performance Psychologist within the Sport Setting.
- Analysing Performance for Improvement (Optional Module 20 Credits): This module looks to apply the performance analysis principles you have learned through previous years and apply them to a real-world scenario of your choosing. Ultimately, seeing how effective the analysis system you have developed copes in the applied environment.
*module for non-International students
**module for International students
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Entry requirements & applying
The academic requirements for the BSc (Hons) Football Coaching and the Performance Specialist are for at least 80-112 UCAS tariff points at GCE A Level or equivalent. Appropriate AS – Level and level 3 Key Skills Qualifications will be also taken into account. Coaching experience or experience of working in coaching will be an advantage.
Before you are offered a place on this course you will be required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance (previously known as CRB), and pay the appropriate fee, so that a check can be made on your suitability for working with children and vulnerable adults.
Teaching & Assessment
A wide range of assessment methods will be used to test your knowledge and understanding. These include practical assessments, examinations, essays, portfolios, reports, presentations, online discussions and case study evaluations.
You will be assessed on your ability to analyse coaching activities, use specialist video software, undertake field-based work and conduct independent research.
You will be expected to complete a dissertation as part of your final assessment.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential.
We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments. Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping deal with the practicalities of university work. Our student support section has more information on the help available.
In terms of particular needs, the University’s Inclusion Services can provide appropriate guidance and support should any students require reasonable adjustments to be made because of a recognised prevailing disability, medical condition, or specific learning difference.
Our Careers & Employability service is there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
Throughout the course, students will have developed the personal and professional skills which are essential for employment within the world of football, as well as worked towards two industry licences and gained practical experience out on placement - all contributing to excellent career prospects upon completion.
Career prospects include:
- Football Coaching
- Performance Analyst
- Football Development Officer
- Football Academies - within the UK and overseas
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
Wrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2022/23 for a full-time undergraduate degree course are £9000 per year.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our fees & finance pages. You will also find information about what your fees include in the FAQs.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.