International Foundation Year
- Year of entry 2022
- Duration 1 YR (FT)
- Location Wrexham
Why choose this course?
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is excited to be working with the highly regarded independent education provider, Malvern House International, to deliver a range of pre-degree pathway courses for international students. The courses will develop your English language skills and prepare you academically for university-level study.
- Improve your English language fluency and upgrade your academic skills in preparation for study on an undergraduate degree course.
- Experience a taste of student life at Wrexham Glyndŵr University before officially starting your degree course in September, whilst enjoying the benefits of full-student membership with access to all of the excellent University facilities and services.
- On completion of the course, you will then be able to progress seamlessly onto a full undergraduate degree without having to apply for a new visa.
Key course features
- This intensive pre-degree pathway programme is designed to provide international students with supportive access into undergraduate degree courses at Wrexham Glyndŵr University.
- Aimed at students who have completed a 12-year school system and need help to meet the required academic and English language entry requirements in order for them to be accepted onto their desired degree programme.
- You will study a variety of interesting course modules through seminars, tutorials and lectures.
- English language lessons will cover a wide variety of language and culture-related topics, in group sizes of between 10-20 participants.
- Approximately 25 hours of guided tuition per week, with lessons usually running between 9 am and 4 pm, Monday-Friday.
What you will study
Students will spend the first semester of the course rapidly improving their English, whilst learning about British culture and acquiring the academic skills appropriate for undergraduate study at a British university.
In the second semester, students will undertake modules more subject-specific to their chosen pathway. This will give them a unique opportunity to further develop their English with native-speaking British students, whilst continuing their English language module in addition to three other modules – all of which are completed by the end of the second semester.
- English for IFY 1 (standard) or English for IFY 2 (fast track)
- Integrated Skills for Undergraduate Studies
- Creative Processes and Progression Project (pathway Art & Design)
- Media Culture and Personal Project (pathway Media & Creative Technology)
- Fundamentals of Finance and Introduction to Marketing (pathway Business)
- Computing Mathematics and Developments in Technology (pathway Computing)
- Mechanical Science and Electrical and Electronic Science (pathway Engineering)
Our Language Centre will be the students’ ‘home’ in their first few weeks at the University. During this time they will have the opportunity to find out more about student life at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, which will help them to transition into their degree course. Students will spend their first semester primarily receiving lessons in the Language Centre but will be able to join the academic department where they will be taking their future chosen degree course in the second semester.
The information listed in this section is an overview of the academic content of the programme that will take the form of either core or option modules. Modules are designated as core or option in accordance with professional body requirements and internal academic framework review, so may be subject to change.
Entry requirements & applying
The programmes can be taken as a Foundation Year by itself, or as a combined programme with your chosen progression degree (Foundation + Degree).
The programmes are aimed at international applicants who will have completed:
For Foundation Year Only:
IFY standard (31 learning weeks):
UKVI IELTS with an overall score of 4.5 with no subtest below 4.5.
IFY Fast Track (24 learning weeks):
UKVI IELTS with an overall score of 5.0 with no subtest below 4.5.
For Foundation + Degree:
IFY standard (31 learning weeks):
Academic IELTS with an overall score of 5.5 and no subtest below 5.5.
IFY Fast Track (24 learning weeks):
Academic IELTS with an overall score of 5.5 and no subtest below 5.5
Teaching & Assessment
Students' progress on their English language ability will be assessed by a combination of formative in-class exercises and online skills tests in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
To further prepare them for the kinds of academic projects they will be expected to complete during their undergraduate degree, students work will also be assessed in formats such as presentations, reports, in-class tests and coursework.
Teaching & Learning
Wrexham Glyndŵr University is committed to supporting our students to maximise their academic potential. We offer workshops and support sessions in areas such as academic writing, effective note-making and preparing for assignments. Students can book appointments with academic skills tutors dedicated to helping deal with the practicalities of university work. Our student support section has more information on the help available.
In terms of particular needs, the University’s Inclusion Services can provide appropriate guidance and support should any students require reasonable adjustments to be made because of a recognised prevailing disability, medical condition, or specific learning difference.
Our Careers & Employability service is there to help you make decisions and plan the next steps towards a bright future. From finding work or further study to working out your interests, skills and aspirations, they can provide you with the expert information, advice and guidance you need.
Successful completion of the International Foundation Year will guarantee entry onto one of the following programmes within the chosen pathway:
International Foundation Year (Business)
- Accounting & Finance Management
- Business & Management
- Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing and Business
International Foundation Year (Art and Design)
- Children's Books
- Applied Art
- Fine Art
- Game Art
- Graphic Design
- Photography and Film
- Visual Effects
International Foundation Year (Media and Creative Technology)
International Foundation Year (Computing)
- Computer Game Design and Enterprise
- Computer Game Development
- Computer Networks and Security
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security
International Foundation Year (Engineering)
Fees & funding
You do not have to pay your tuition fees upfront.
The fees you pay and the support available will depend on a number of different factors. Full information can be found on our fees & finance pages.
International students coming to study on our Summer School courses can be provided with on-campus accommodation, or are allocated to university housing a short distance from the main campus. All university accommodation is single en-suite (private toilet and shower), and students will normally share a fully equipped kitchen designed for up to 6 people. Wrexham Village on the main Wrexham campus is in close proximity to the library and other on-site learning facilities, as well as being a short distance away from Wrexham town centre itself. Wi-fi access is available across the entire campus and accommodation blocks are given 24-hour security protection.
For more information on the accommodation available at Wrexham Glyndŵr University, please visit our accommodation page, or contact our friendly accommodation team at email@example.com or on 01978 293344.
If you are applying as an European / International Student, and live outside of the UK, you should make your application through our online application system, Centurus.
For information about the university’s entry requirements for EU/international students, please visit our international section.